How to shrink your brand new Gameness kimono!!!
Posted: April 19, 2017
We constantly receive questions on how to wash and care for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu kimonos. We will start off this article by explaining how to shrink your kimono to fit when you first receive it. In future articles we will talk about how to maintain your kimono so you can use it for many more years.
When you firstreceive your kimono you should try it on to see how it fits. Hopefully it will be a bit large so you have some room to shrink it. If it just fits than you need to be very careful not to let it shrink at all.
Instructions for kimonos that fit perfect out of the box:
- You must be very careful not to shrink your kimono. If the kimono is more than three finger lengths from your wrist bone when you have your arms in the Frankenstein pose you cannot compete with it in an IBJJF tournament. The pant leg must also be within three finger lengths of the ankle bone.
- Kimonos will generally shrink 5% if washed in hot water, or placed in a dryer, so you will need to wash this kimono using cold water and hang it to dry.
- Remember even a little heat can cause the kimono to shrink.
Instructions for a kimono that is too large:
- Start by washing the kimono using the cold wash cycle on your machine.
- Now put the kimono in the dryer for 10 minute intervals.
- Every 10 minutes try the kimono on to see how it fits.
- If the kimono becomes dry and is still to large put it in the washer again and repeat the drying process checking the kimonos fit every 10 minutes.
- Once the kimono fits follow the instructions above for kimonos that fit.
- Wash the kimono on the cold cycle and hang dry the kimono. Remember any heat can cause the kimono to shrink when washing it.
- If you follow these instructions you should end up with a kimono that fits you for as long as you have it.